Friday, September 29, 2017

I Had No Desire to Chatter About, "Chatter"

On September 28th, I attended the gallery event, showcasing the mixed media collection of works by Kyle Bauer, titled "chatter". I did not like the collection, or the presentation of the works in general.
Maybe I would have a better appreciation for it if I were there earlier in the event for when he spoke about his collection. When I attempted to learn about the pieces in the gallery, I was struck with further confusion, as there were no artist statements attached to the title plaques of the pieces. Further, half of his pieces were untitled studies. Apparently, the pieces were arranged to "guide" the viewer through the gallery, but I did not get that sense at all, and frankly do not know where this path of the sculptures' supposed special orientation was supposed to take me. The one piece I did like is the one pictured to the right. If it had meaning behind it other than "fireworks," then I would respect it more.
In response to his statement in the card, which described his work, I still do not understand the meaning his work was designed to inspire from the viewer, or even from him. I guess that some of his works could be metaphors for a journey, but honestly I struggle to see it. Even the way he described his own creative process as letting, "the objects dictate their own form," is illogical. He created the works. Works cannot create themselves. He claims that there are, "multiple layers of meaning," but I can hardly see one.
Maybe I dislike the creative process, the formalist perspective, or the oddness of the show in general, but the bottom line is: I do not feel the need to chatter about "chatter," ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment