Sunday, October 1, 2017

This Side of Matisse Caught Me Off Gaurd

Each year, the art classroom in my elementary school had a different artist's work hung above each of the six tables. For some reason, I remember the year that Henri Matisse's paintings floated above my classmates and my head as we worked. My teacher at the time chose the brighter pieces he did which had thick brush lines, and freer forms. I remember thinking that they looked a little silly, being so bright and having such thick lines, and odd, organic shapes. I particularly remember the table which my teacher called, "The Purple Robe,". So, naturally, since we visited the BMA, and it has been on display there for years, I went to see it. After viewing it and having a few memories of how my love of art first began to blossom in that basement classroom, I spotted this piece. Before even looking at who painted it, I just stared at it for a few minutes. The frame surrounding it looks as though it were recovered from the shore in the painting. I looked at the placard, and was surprised to see it read, "Henri Matisse". It certainly did not ascribe to the Matisse I had known so long ago!
There were no outlines, and only a few thick brush strokes used. Most importantly, where were the bright colors and people?! I felt tricked and confused. So, I stared and stared. The longer I stared, the more I fell in love with the natural form of the sea arch, the stark contrasts of the sky, and how the layers of space gave it a feeling of depth. What I ogled at the most was the water; every time I saw one shadow or highlight I would find a shape of a new one, which hinted at deeper water, or rocks, or a glare of sunlight. My initial surprise at the difference between the distinct style which I had prescribed him to have in elementary school to this painting had just seemed to wash away with the waves in the painting. I quickly found myself playing, "I spy," with the water. This is somewhat odd because the shadow lines in the arch, the rocks in the foreground and the horizon line lead the eye right to the tiny sailboat out beyond the arch, but I honestly did not care about it, just the water and the new increase in appreciation I had found in his 1920 oil, "The Pierced Rock".

No comments:

Post a Comment