Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Response to Color Podcast

After listening to this Podcast, I understand much more about color than I did before. I knew dogs and bees saw differently from us, but I did not know it was because they had different numbers of cones in their eyes. I found it so interesting that the monkeys were able to accept the extra cones as well and were able to see new colors eventually. That experiment creates major potential for the manipulation of human sight abilities, particularly those of of colorblind individuals. Over the past few days, I have also been staring at clouds to see if I could see a pinkish-red hue like the tetra-chromatic woman was able to. Unfortunately, I could not, though I did try quite hard for entirely too long of a time period to do so. Hearing about the mantis shrimp was quite amazing. The incomprehensible nature of their sight abilities to humans like myself, is quite intriguing. I want to know more about how their 16 cones work, and if they can actually see all of those colors or simply have the cones to potentially see all of them. They sound like a magical creature I would read about in a fairy-tale rather than a real creature. The chorus that helped the listener to imagine the color spectrum was also truly helpful and a fun addition to the Podcast. I was also unaware of how the light spectrum of the glass prism was discovered. I knew that white light was comprised of our visible color spectrum, but not the whole story behind how it was discovered to be so, so that was cool to learn too. Overall, the Podcast was really interesting and taught me a lot of things I did not know previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment